Saturday 10 August 2013

Great Mulloway catches using Squidgy flickbaits in the Coorong

Although this trip was a while ago now it's one remember clearly.

I had gone to Victor Harbour to stay with  my mum and also my brother who was over here from the UK and I of course I couldn't go without taking the Hobie.

My brother and his new lady friend met me at the Mundoo Chanel boatramp where he took some photos for me of the newly wrapped yak, and after saying "I'll be at Mums for dinner" I went on my merry way for a fish.
One of the pics from the 'photoshoot'.
My hopes were high on getting a fish but after a couple of hours I realised that wasn't going to happen. I had tried topwater, trolling and plastics but there seemed to be nothing around. Feeling a bit dejected I headed back to the boat ramp and was packing up my gear when a boat appeared from the darkness and moored at the ramp. I went over for a chat and as fishermen do started telling the stories of what was biting etc. He was interested in the yak and I mentioned I had caught mulloway from it in the past. "oh you should try here" he said, "caught stacks there the other night all catch and release, had a ball".

Thinking this was just one of those fishing stories I didn't think to much of it and continued to pack up after we had said goodbye.

This spot was on the way home so I thought to myself - what harm can it do to check it out.
On arrival I saw a boat trailer there so at least someone was out.

I put on a squidgy flickbait and thought to myself 'ill give it an hour' lobbed the plastic into the darkness, clicked over the bail arm and proceeded to work the plastic in a big hop hop action, well no sooner had I started the line came up tight and I was on! I could feel the head shakes of a mully and I couldn't believe it, 1st cast your joking I though to myself as I fumbled for the net. After a shortish fight I shone the light into the water to the see the gorgeous silver flanks of a Mulloway along side the yak.

1-3kg rod with 4lb BiteMotion did the damage.

This can't be real, hands still shaking as I tried to take a photo, release the fish and call my mates to let them know the awesome news  but I couldn't get coverage.

Well to cut a long story short this was the order for the rest of the night, cast the plastic then no sooner had it hit the water, rip rip - BANG! Incredible and to think that I was going back to Mums and would have missed all this action.

This isn't a fishing story but honestly I lost count of how many mulloway I caught and released that night, I was there from around 10 till 4am (yep in the kayak) and it was pretty much none stop action all night. I kept 3 fish which were between 70 and 75cm for Mum as she loves fish but can't afford it a lot.

I went down there as much as I could over the rest of the summer, told some friends and they also experienced some fantastic Mulloway action from the yak but it was never as good as that magical night, one I will never forget.



I found these floating on the surface pretty selective feeding! 


The Mulloway were taking a variety of Squidgies and the size of the plastic didn't seem to matter.

Another schoolie caught on the magical Squidgy flick bait, I caught numerous fish on the same tail,
making them very economical.

You can see the bite/scuff marks in this tail, very well used but still catching fish.


All of these plastics caught Mulloway, you can see the teeth marks in some and although they look a little worse for ware were still catching fish. 

One of the 3 keepers from that magical night fishing.

More info on the Squidgies here

Blogs will be added frequently so please bookmark the page, thank's for reading.








No comments:

Post a Comment